Steve is the main playable character of Minecraft.
Steve is the default skin of the Player in Minecraft. The name Steve was invented by developer Markus "Notch" Persson as a joke and was often formatted as "Steve?" prior to being formally adopted as the default name of the avatar. Before this, the name "Mr. Minecraft" was used for a guest role in Super Meat Boy. The character of Steve, along with the rest of the Minecraft world, is intended to be gender-neutral so as to avoid forcing the player to make decisions about gender. Despite this, as Steve has a traditionally "masculine" appearance and name, a feminine alternative named Alex was introduced in 2014; choosing Alex adjusts the model's arm proportions to be thinner, which is officially referred to as a "slim" model. In their Mr. Sakurai Presents video, Masahiro Sakurai also uses male and female pronouns respectively to refer to them, confirming further that at least their Smash incarnations are gendered.
In Java Edition, it is possible to customize the avatar's appearance with a template (allowing for entirely player-made appearances), while other versions of the game offer skin packs (mostly based on other IPs, both from gaming like Fallout, Banjo-Kazooie, and Mario; and non-gaming media such as The Simpsons, Adventure Time, and Stranger Things). Within the limited lore of the game, Steve and Alex are indicated to simply be vessels of the actual player's manifestation in the Minecraft world, having no other discernable personality or role. Most of Steve and Alex's abilities come from tools. Unarmed, they are capable of walking, running, jumping, crawling, punching, and crafting small items (on a two-by-two grid). These abilities are augmented by the tools they create (usually on a Crafting Table, which utilizes a three-by-three grid). As a sandbox game, Minecraft has a variety of options available to the player depending on their playstyle: mining, building, farming, hunting, and adventuring are only a few.
On October 1st, 2020, Steve was revealed to be the fighter included in Challenger Pack 7, with more information to be revealed prior to Minecraft Live 2020. They are currently the fifth third-party DLC character in the game. Their appearance and animations appear identical to their iteration in Minecraft, with the ability to place blocks, mine for materials, and use items from within the game. Their Final Smash is a giant piston which smashes players into a stronghold filled with TNT, with Creepers detonating the explosives. He was released on October 13th, 2020, and is classified as fighter #77.
- Steve is the fifth fighter in Smash to be created outside of Japan, having been created by Swedish developer Mojang Studios.
- Steve is the first playable character created outside of Japan to not have had any involvement from Nintendo in their conception.
- Steve is the first fighter in Smash history to come from an indie (independent-developed) game.
- Although Mojang Studios has been a part of Microsoft since 2014, Steve was introduced to the game in 2009, when the company was known as "Mojang Specifications" and was fully independent.
- Prior to Steve's inclusion in Smash, characters from Mario, Pac-Man, Final Fantasy, and Banjo-Kazooie have appeared as official skins in the "Legacy Console" and "Bedrock" version of Minecraft.
- Steve is the second playable character in Smash to have debuted on a home computer platform, following Solid Snake.
- Steve's default design in Ultimate has a beard (often confused for a smile), which was used in early "Classic" builds of Minecraft but removed from their texture in version "0.24_SURVIVAL_TEST," although it has continued to appear in promotional artwork and merchandise since then.
- This beard can be equipped for the player's texture in the character creator featured in the "Bedrock" version of Minecraft.