- Not what you were looking for? See Princess Peach (disambiguation).
Princess Peach (ピーチ姫 Princess Peach?) also known as Princess Peach Toadstool, Princess Toadstool, or just Peach, is the ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom. She is the damsel-in-distress in most of the Mario games. She has a love for the color pink, as almost all of her dresses have a shade of the color. She is named after a fruit in the real world, and also one that appears occasionally in RPGS, the Peachy Peach. She first appears in Super Mario Bros. and has since appeared in most subsequent games, in which she is usually kidnapped by Bowser. Princess Peach is occasionally a key supporting character of the plot, and sometimes a playable character. Her most notable appearance is as the heroine of Super Princess Peach. She has also shown her fighting abilities in Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros. series. Princess Peach's first game as the main character, Super Princess Peach, has been released worldwide on February 27, 2006. She has also gone through many voice actresses and is currently voiced by Samantha Kelly. She has an affinity for the color pink and has been shown to be a ladylike, kind and very beautiful monarch. Princess Peach resides in her castle along with many Toads who tend to her. She sometimes is about to get her kingdom often attacked by the Koopa Army, lead by King Bowser Koopa. Princess Peach is portrayed as Mario and Bowser's love interest. She also has a special relationship with Princess Daisy, and is a good friend of Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, and Toadette. She has appeared in many sport titles as well as other spin-offs. In addition, she is almost always playable in spin-off tournaments, such as Mario Hoops 3-on-3. As aforementioned, Bowser has also shown to be in love with her in several games, and some of his attempts to kidnap her are so that he can marry her and make her his queen.
Like most human characters in the Mario franchise, Peach has blue eyes. Her blonde hair (initially red or brown in NES games, resulting in the DiC cartoons depicting her as a redhead) reaches her waist in length, which usually sees her put it into a ponytail for most of her more active appearances. In terms of height, the only human characters to be taller than her are Pauline, Waluigi, and Rosalina (though Pauline may actually be slightly shorter due to the first damsel in distress wearing higher heels).
Her primary outfit consists of a long pink dress with a ring at the bottom, pink panniers, short puffy sleeves, a raised collar, and a sapphire brooch set in gold. Accompanying it are a golden crown with four jewels on it, white evening gloves that reach past her elbows, and deep pink high heel pumps that usually go unseen unless one were to look at the correct angle or she does her primary victory pose in Mario Party 4-6, and, in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl a pair of pink bloomers. This look replaces her original dress, which was a darker pink from much closer to her waist; in the DiC cartoon Adventured of Super Mario Bros. 3 episode "Mind Your Mummy Mommy, Mario" she wore blue high heels as seen when running to a stolen mummy case.
Due to her normal outfit consisting of a long dress and high heels, Peach has a number of alternate outfits for a variety of situations. Her primary two are a pink athletic minidress or a pink tank top and shorts (the latter based on Princess Daisy's primary sports wear); both are paired with white bobby socks and primarily-pink tennis shoes along with her usual jewelry and a blue hairtie keeping her hair in a ponytail. Other, more specifically-oriented outfits include a pink nurse outfit with matching sandals (Dr. Mario), a pink and white biker suit (Mario Kart Wii and both versions of Mario Kart 8, Daisy and Rosalina also receiving their own in their respective color schemes; for some strange reason Wario doesn't use his WarioWare-origin biker outfit himself under the same circumstances), a sleeveless, lighter pink version of her normal dress (Super Mario Sunshine, the sleevelessness along with a lack of her usual gloves being due to Isle Delfino's tropical setting), a pink leotard doubling as a one-piece swimsuit (summer editions of the Mario & Sonic series), a pink minidress with dark pink tights along with white gloves and ankle boots (winter editions of the Mario & Sonic series), and perhaps her most risque outfit, a pink midriff-baring crop top (with a white number 10 on both sides, small in front under her emblem and large on the back under her (also in white) name) and shorts (Super Mario Strikers, the sequel adding protective pink battle armor over it).
Princess Peach is kind, sociable and experienced. She puts others' needs before her own, despite people refusing as seen with Mimi. Peach has a lot of experience, while she lacks learning from it. Bowser always kidnaps Peach due to her ability that she can undo the spell. Another theory Bowser loves Peach as seen in Super Paper Mario, but Peach does not love him back. After Mario rescues her, she compliments him for saving her. Peach and Daisy are close friends and friendly rivals. The two people have similar behavior and abilities, but different traits and affiliation.
Although Peach first spoke in Super Mario Bros. with one line, she was voiced by Leslie Swan for the first time in Super Mario 64. She had a mature and deep tone. In the early 21st century, Peach had new voice actresses: Jen Taylor, the former voice actress, and Samantha Kelly, the current voice actress. Peach spoke with an innocent and high pitched tone.
Ever from her debut, her musical theme was based on Super Mario Bros.. For example, in her Super Smash Bros. Ultimate showcase video, it played the Super Smash Bros. Melee version of the overworld theme of Super Mario Bros.. When Mario rescues Peach, it plays the ballet-style jingles.
Profiles and statistics
- Mushroom Kingdom and kidnapped by Bowser. Peach or Daisy's descriptions sometimes mentions each other. Peach is normally classified as a Technical character in Mario Sports games. In Mario Kart, Peach is either classified as a lightweight or middleweight character. Princess Peach is described to be a ruler of
Powers and abilities
Princess Peach has shown in Super Mario Bros. that she can undo the spell. Since her first playable appearance, Princess Peach can hover and attack enemies. Like other characters, she can ground pound and run. She has unique powers that included pink hearts or fruit peaches. Peach can transform with the use of power-ups.
- Baseball bat: Peach uses the bat when attending baseball events.
- Tennis racket: She uses the tennis racket when attending tennis events.
- Toad Express: Peach rode the Toad Express once when travelling to Delfino Island.
- Hot air balloon: Peach flew onto the hot air balloon to Dinosaur Land.
- Peach's Parasol: Princess Peach used her parasol for support and weaponry. She uses it to glide and shade herself.
- Perry: Perry only appeared in Super Princess Peach, a talking parasol who helped Peach with his knowledge of Vibe Island. Perry uses some of abilities similar to Peach's parasol, even including absorbing enemies.
- "Thank you Mario! Your quest is over. We present you a new quest."
- ― Princess Peach, World 8-4 in Super Mario Bros.
Bowser summoned Dark Magic onto the Toads that transformed into animate objects. Peach was the only person who can undo Bowser's spell. Bowser kidnapped Peach to prevent her from undoing the spell. Mario heard about it and started his adventure to find her. Mario rescued Toads trapped in the castles, who told him that Peach is in another castle. Mario defeated the true Bowser and saved Princess Peach. Peach thanked him for saving him and presented him a new quest.
Mario told Peach, Luigi and Toad about his strange dream. The group decided to go to the nearby mountain for a picnic. They enjoyed looking at the scenery until they spot a small cave. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad curiously approached the cave finding a long staircase leading to the door. As they opened the door, they fell into Subcon, the land of dreams. Peach remembered the advice Mario received from his said dream and found king Wart, known for hating vegetables. Peach defeated Wart and saved the Subcons. Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach and the Subcons celebrate their rescue from Wart's evil spell.
- "Thank you. But our Princess is in another castle!.. Just kidding! Bye bye."
- ― Princess Peach, World 8-
Peach, Toad, Mario and Luigi learnt that Bowser sent his children called Koopalings to Mushroom World to make mischief. The seven Koopalings stole the seven wands from the seven kings of the seven lands, and transformed them into animals. Peach and Toad farewelled Mario and Luigi wishing them luck as the two brothers set off their journey. Peach sent letters to help Mario and Luigi, and enclosing jewels. After Mario rescued the Pipe Land King from the last Koopaling, Ludwig von Koopa, Mario received a letter from Bowser who had kidnapped Peach into the Dark Land. After Mario defeated Bowser, he approached Peach. Princess Peach joked to Mario but appreciated his rescue.
Dinousaur Land vacation
Peach, Mario and Luigi agreed to take a vacation at Dinosaur Land after saving Mushroom World. While Mario and Luigi were napping at the beach, Princess Peach disappeared seized by evil forces. Mario, Luigi and their childhood friend: Yoshi arrives at the Front Door of Bowser's Castle, Mario and Luigi intrude to rescue Peach. Mario and Luigi found Bowser holding captive of Peach in his Koopa Clown. After the disappearance of Bowser, they traveled back to Yoshi's House and continued their vacation.
Jewelry Land invasion
- "You must go to Jewelry Land. Its rulers, King Fret and Prince Pine are in terrible danger. You must go and save them. Please, Mario. They are my friends!! Thank you! You must go at once. Good luck and take care, both of you!"
- ― Princess Peach to Mario and Yoshi, Yoshi's Safari
Princess Peach learnt that Bowser and the Koopalings moved into Jewelry Land, they stole the twelve magic gems and kidnapped her friends, King Fret and Prince Pine. As the result of the theft, the kingdom was split into two parts, Light Realm and Dark Realm. Panicked, Peach messaged Mario and Yoshi about the incident. Mario and Yoshi returned to Mushroom World after completing Peach's quest.
Behind the painting
Mario received the letter from Peach who baked a cake for Mario. Mario was excited to arrive at Peach's Castle. Mario heard Bowser's voice that said nobody is in the castle. Mario searched inside the castle. After entering the painting, he understood that Peach and Toad were sealed in a painting by Bowser. After recovering most of the Super Stars and defeating Bowser, he returned to the castle. Peach appears with the Toads. Surprised to see Mario, she thanked Mario for restoring the Stars have been restored. She tells everyone that they should bake a cake for Mario.
Delfino Island vacation
Peach, Mario and Toadsworth were travelling onto the Toad Express to have a vacation at Delfino Island. Peach noticed a shadow figure resembling Mario, while Toadsworth and Mario enjoy their time. The plane made a crash-landing nearby strange goop. Peach noticed the same shadow figure, but disappeared from her sight. Princess Peach told Mario about her concern before he starts to search. After Mario collected the first Shine Sprite, the Pianta Police officers arrested him. Peach was present in the court attempting to prove his innocence. Mario was proven to be "guilty" and was required to clean up the island before he is allowed to leave.
Princess Peach noticed Shadow Mario who attempted to kidnap her, but Mario prevented him as Shadow Mario escaped to the Rainbow M. Shadow Mario kidnapped Peach inside the Mecha-Bowser, after Mario collected the ten Shine Sprites. Shadow Mario revealed itself to be Bowser Jr., shocking Mario and Peach. Bowser Jr. called Princess Peach his "mama", then took Peach into Corona Mountain in the Mecha-Bowser.
Meanwhile, Bowser and Bowser Jr. were enjoying their time in the hot bath tub unlike Peach who sat on the rubber duck. Mario arrived to Peach and tipped the bath tub. This resulted the hidden Shine Sprite to fall out of the pool. Bowser and Bowser Jr. landed onto the raft while Mario and Peach landed on a small island nearby Delfino Island. They noticed the F.L.U.D.D. malfunctioning and it shutted down. Princess Peach pointed out to Mario that the residents are celebrating after the Shine Sprite restored to the Shine Gate. Mario and Peach enjoyed watching the sunset at Sirena Beach until Toad showed them the repaired F.L.U.D.D. that announced that the vacation starts. Everyone enjoyed the island afterwards.
Bowser's galaxy creation
Princess Peach invited Mario to the Starbit Festival, who received the letter. Princess Peach was prepared to give Mario a Luma. Mario arrived at the Castle Gardens. Mario was about to arrive at Peach's Castle regardless of Bowser and the airships that arrived and interrupted the festival. He "invited" Peach to his new galaxy creation, the UFO lifted Peach's Castle to space. Before Mario can do anything else, Kamek casted a spell to Mario sending him flying to space. Luma escaped before Kamek warped the castle.
During the events of Mario helping Rosalina restore Power Stars and Grand Stars to the Comet Observatory, Peach wrote letters to Mario while she was kidnapped. Rosalina and Mario prepared to encounter Bowser at the center of the universe. Bowser Jr. held Peach captive in his airship, but Mario rescued her upon the defeat of Bowser. The galaxy has been deconstructed by the Black hole, while Rosalina rescued Mario from the cataclysm. Awakening at Mushroom Kingdom, Peach and Bowser has not remembered the past events although there were reconstructed galaxies and everyone that Mario met celebrating.
Another Bowser's galaxy creation
Another story of Princess Peach, she invited Mario to her castle for cake. When Mario arrived, Bowser kidnapped Peach and took her away to the center of the universe. After Mario defeated Bowser's Galaxy Generator, Peach appeared with the Grand Star and lands on the garden planet with Mario. The Comet Observatory was free from Bowser's fortress and Rosalina was pleased to know that Luma is safe, Luma also takes Mario's cap as a souvenir. Peach and Mario rode on Starship Mario and returned to the Mushroom Kingdom.
Big Tail Tree
Rescuing Sprixie Princesses
Peach, Mario, Luigi and Blue Toad were enjoying the fireworks at the evening of Mushroom Kingdom. They found a slanted Clear Pipe. After Mario and Luigi fixed the pipe, a green Sprixie Princess panicked and told them that she escaped Bowser, but he kidnapped the other Sprixie Princesses. Bowser came out of the pipe and trapped the green Sprixie Princess in the jar and trapped her in a plains area. Peach checked Bowser inside the pipe, but fell into the pipe. Her companions caught up to her and fell into the plains area where they found the green Sprixie Princess trapped inside a jar.
After Peach and her companions rescued the green Sprixie Princess, they continued to rescue more Sprixie Princesses in other areas. Rescuing the last Sprixie Princess, Bowser kidnapped all the Sprixie Princesses in a large jar and ran to the amusement area.
Bowser and Peach's wedding
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. Special
- Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
- Super Mario Bros. 2
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Mario World
- NES Open Tournament Golf
- Super Mario Kart
- Mario is Missing! (cameo)
- Super Mario All-Stars
- Yoshi's Safari
- Mario's Early Years! Fun with Letters
- Mario's Early Years! Fun with Numbers
- Mario's Early Years! Preschool Fun
- Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
- Hotel Mario
- Mario Teaches Typing
- Mario's Tennis
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Super Mario 64
- Tetris Attack
- Mario Kart 64
- Game & Watch Gallery
- Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium
- Game & Watch Gallery 2
- Mario no Photopi
- Mario Party
- Super Smash Bros. (mentioned)
- Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
- Mario Golf (Game Boy Color)
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Tennis (Nintendo 64)
- Paper Mario
- Mario Tennis (Game Boy Color)
- Mario Party 3
- Super Mario Advance
- Mobile Golf
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- Mario Family
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Mario Party 4
- Game & Watch Gallery 4
- Mario Party-e
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
- Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Mario Party 5
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Mario Golf: Advance Tour
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Super Mario Fushigi no Korokoro Party
- WarioWare: Twisted!
- Mario Power Tennis
- Mario Party 6
- Super Mario 64 DS
- WarioWare: Touched!
- Mario Party Advance
- NBA Street V3
- Yakuman DS
- Mario Superstar Baseball
- Mario Tennis: Power Tour
- Mario Kart Arcade GP
- Super Mario Fushigi no Korokoro Party 2
- SSX on Tour
- Super Princess Peach
- Mario Party 7
- Mario Kart DS
- Super Mario Strikers
- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Mario Hoops 3-on-3
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves
- Mario Kart Arcade GP 2
- Super Paper Mario
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Itadaki Street DS
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
- Mario Party DS
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mario Kart Wii
- Mario Super Sluggers
- Mario Party Fushigi no Korokoro Catcher
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
- Mario Calculator (cameo)
- Mario Clock
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Winter Games
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition
- Mario Sports Mix
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii Coin World
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympics Games
- Fortune Street
- Mario Kart 7
- Mario Party 9
- Mario Tennis Open
- New Super Mario Bros. 2
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star
- Nintendo Land
- New Super Luigi U
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
- Mario Kart Arcade DX
- Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympics Winter Games
- Super Mario 3D World
- Mario Party: Island Tour
- NES Remix
- NES Remix 2
- NES Remix Pack
- Mario Golf: World Tour
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- Ultimate NES Remix
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Mario Party 10
- Puzzles & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
- Super Mario Maker
- Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition (cameo)
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympics Games
- Mario Party Fushigi no Challenge World
- Paper Mario: Color Splash
- Mario Party: Star Rush
- Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
- Super Mario Run
- Mario Sports Superstars
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Mario Kart Arcade GP VR
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Mario Party: The Top 100
- Mario Tennis Aces
- WarioWare Gold
- Super Mario Party
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Behind the scenes
Creation and development
Princess Peach's initial appearance was drawn by Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto has later asked Yōichi Kotabe to redraw Princess Peach with his instructions. He has asked Kotabe to draw her eyes to be "a little cat-like" and that she should look "stubborn, but cute". With Kotabe's influence, Princess Peach changed considerably throughout her gaming history.
- Leslie Swan voiced Princess Peach since Super Mario 64 also making Peach's first time to speak. She voiced Peach in most of the Mario installments until Super Paper Mario. After that, she continued to be the localization director.
- Jen Taylor, one of the long running voice actresses, voiced Princess Peach since Mario Tennis for the Nintendo 64. In 2006, she ended her career to continue working at Seattle Children's Theatre.
- Samantha Kelly is the current voice actress for Princess Peach. She started voicing her since Mario Strikers Charged. Kelly mentioned the fact that she likes Princess Peach about her innocence, sweetness and determination.
WatchMojo has ranked Princess Peach #1 on their list of "Top 10 Video Game Damsels in Distress". Peach has been mentioned that she has been the most kidnapped damsel-in-distress.
- She has never been known as "Princess Toadstool" in Japan. She was always known as Princess Peach.
- Ever since her debut in 1985, Princess Peach has appeared in more games than any female character in video game history.
- There's a homage in the game Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix to a famous quote about Princess Toadstool, which is "Thank you Mario / Luigi. But our Princess is in another castle.", very common at Mario's early games: As the player beats the secret boss Akuma, he is given an achievement named "Sheng Long is in another castle". The achievement name interprets the player is unable to find Sheng Long but just Akuma.
- Sheng Long is a "character" originated from a joke, based upon Ryu's quote "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance," which suggested Sheng Long's existence as a secret final boss in the Capcom fighting game Street Fighter II and that helped to create both the characters Akuma and Gouken later.
- ↑ "Ahhhhh! Princess Peach! My lovely wife!" —Bowser, The Bitlands, Super Paper Mario
- ↑ "What I like about Peach, is that she's always innocent and sweet and she's also determined." —Samantha Kelly
- ↑ WatchMojo.com (March 3, 2015). Top 10 Video Game Damsels in Distress. YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-06-09. “Being the princess of the MUshroom Kingdom can be tough. Especially, when you have a fire-breathing turtle monster ready to kidnap you at every turn. It should be no surprise that your top pick has been kidnapped more than anyone else on this list.”
- Princess Peach on Nintendo Wiki.
- Princess Peach on Smashpedia.
- Princess Peach on Wikipedia.
- Princess Peach on Heroes Wiki.
- Princess Peach on Codex Gamicus.