Podoboos (often called as Fire Bubbles even though they are a completely new enemy) are fireball-like creatures/enemies that are commonly found in castles in the Super Mario series. They jump out of the lava in random spots of the level. Contact with a podoboo will cause Mario or Luigi to take one damage, losing all power-ups. In the Yoshi's Island series, Yoshi can swallow the Podoboos and gain limited fire breath. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, they can be defeated by using the Ice Flower. Podoboo made its debut Super Mario Bros.. Podoboos also appear in the Mario Kart series. In more recent games, Podoboos will do a flip before landing back in the lava, and resemble a roundish jellyfish/octopus rather than just a fireball. Similar enemies called Embers from the Paper Mario series replace Podoboos as enemies in certain levels.
Super Mario Series
Podoboos first appeared in Super Mario Bros., where they are seen in castle levels. They leap out of lava pits, only to fall down to jump out of the lava again.
Podoboos appear in the Japanese sequel to the previous game, Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, where they act the exact same way as they did in the prequel.
Podoboos reappear in Super Mario Bros. 3, where they behave just the same as they did in Super Mario Bros.
In Super Mario World, Podoboos appear to act the same as they have in the last game. For the first time in the series, Podoboos appear to have two black dotted eyes, which would become their stable appearance for a majority of Mario games. They also appear during Lemmy and Wendy's battle, where they bounce around the room, creating an obstacle for Mario.
Podoboos also appear in New Super Mario Bros., where they behave the same as they have for past games.
In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Podoboos attack in the same manner as they have in previous games.
Podoboos make their first 3D appearance in Super Mario Galaxy 2, where they've been given the power to jump from one lava pit to another. Strangely, they have no eyes in this installment.
Podoboos reappear in their second 3D appearance in Super Mario 3D Land, where they behave more like in New Super Mario Bros. They regained their dotted eyes in this entry.
In New Super Mario Bros. 2, Podoboos reappear, acting the same as they have in previous Mario titles.
Podoboos reappear in New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U/New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, where they behave exactly the same as in other installments.
In Super Mario 3D World, Podoboos reappear, along with a blue variety making its debut.
Podoboos reappear in Super Mario Maker and its sequel, where they are placable enemies. Like all enemies, they can given a Super Mushroom to grow into a Big Podoboo or wings to make them a Para-Podoboo. In Super Mario Maker 2, they can be given a Parachute. They are also called "Lava Bubbles" in both of these games.
Podoboos reappear in Super Mario Run, where they behave the same as they have for past Mario games.
In Super Mario Odyssey, Podoboos appear as enemies, commonly found in the Luncheon Kingdom. When Mario Captures one, he is able to swim across lava. There are cannons in the lava with a Podoboo's emblem on them. If Mario jumps into one of these while Capturing a Podoboo, he is able to be shot out of the cannon, taking him to another location in the Luncheon Kingdom.
Mario Party series
Podobos appear in a majority of the Mario Party games. They appear in mini-games as obstacles that the characters must avoid. They also appear as decorations on the board maps. Podoboos' biggest role in the Mario Party series is an appearance as a capsule in Mario Party 5 and an orb in Mario Party 6.
- Bubble Capsule - Three Podoboos will form a circle around a character and propel them ten spaces forward by burning them, bypassing any stars and board events. The character will also lose any capsules they are carrying when this capsule is used.
- Podoboo Orb - Podoboo creates a roadblock on the boards, causing any characters that pass them to lose ten coins.
- Bowser's Nightmare - Podoboos appear as flames for the torches that are scattered around the board.
- Goomba's Booty Boardwalk - When the Bowser Space is activated, Podoboos will attack the player at Bowser's command.
- Hot Rope Jump - The Podoboos will form a giant chain in this mini-game and start rotating it in a clockwise fashion. The characters must jump over the Podoboo chain in order to avoid being burned. The more rotations the character completes, the faster the rope will move. In Mario Party 2, Hot Rope Jump returns, except the Podoboos start out as small blue Podoboos and change into orange Podoboos as the mini-game progresses.
- Treadmill Grill - The characters are on a giant treadmill-type grill that is surrounded by blue-colored Podoboos. The objective of the mini-game is to avoid touching the Podoboos that appear on the edge of the grill. As the mini-game progresses, orange Podoboos will start to wander around the grill, seeking out characters to attack.
- All Fired Up - The characters are transported into an enclosed room that is full of tiny Podoboos. The Podoboos will start to create chains, shapes, and other designs that the characters must avoid.
- Eye Sore - Podoboos as obstacles the characters must avoid in this mini-game while trying to circle Mr. I. If a character makes contact with a Podoboo, then they will be burned and unable to move for a few seconds.
- Daft Rafts - The nighttime version of this rafts contains Podoboos rather than Spinies. If a character touches one of the Podoboos, they are automatically eliminated.
|Characters in Super Mario Bros.|
|Heroes and Supporting||Mario • Luigi • Princess Toadstool • Mushroom Retainer|
|Enemies||Blooper • Bullet Bill • Buzzy Beetle • Cheep-Cheep • Firebar • Goomba • Hammer Bro. • Koopa Paratroopa • Koopa Troopa • Lakitu • Piranha Plant • Podoboo • Spiny|
|Bosses||False Bowser • Bowser|