The New Super Mario Bros series is a series of 2D Mario side-scrolling games for the Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, and Nintendo Switch consoles, having strong resemblances to the classic Mario games for the NES and the SNES in the 1980's and 1990's. Some of Mario's voice clips are reused from Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.
All the New Super Mario Bros. games are almost alike, with new games adding some new levels that look virtually the same, some new power-ups, some old enemies from the older Mario games or some new enemies.
Games in the series
- New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS, 2006)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, 2009)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo 3DS, 2012)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U, 2012)
- New Super Luigi U (Wii U, 2013)
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo Switch, 2019)
New Super Mario Bros. games are a new take on classic side-scrolling Mario games. The games play very similar to the original Super Mario Bros. game. New power-ups, like the Mega Mushroom, introduce new types of gameplay. In the New Super Mario Bros. games for Wii and Wii U, there can be up to four to five players (four on Wii, five on Wii U, including the new controller).
- Out of the games of these series, only New Super Mario Bros. has featured mini-games (as most of them are from Super Mario 64 DS, along with some new ones and have multi-player).
- All of the games' underground music is based on the underground music for Super Mario Bros.