|"Can everyone please stop telling jokes and start actually helping?!"|
|Wendy O. Koopa is not happy. She has spotted broken links on this article. You can make her proud by helping MarioWiki editors create pages!|
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (マリオカート8デラックス Mariokāto 8 derakkusu), often abbreviated to MK8 Deluxe (MK8DX for short), is a game released in 2017-2018 for the Nintendo Switch and is the first game in the series to be released for the console. Several voice clips are reused from Mario Super Sluggers. The game is a remake of Mario Kart 8 and was released worldwide April 28th, 2017. It was later released in South Korea on December 15th, 2017.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an expansion and a continued version of Mario Kart 8. It brings new battle courses, characters returning from Mario Kart Wii including King Boo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr., and new characters to the Mario Kart series, Splatoon's Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy. It also added Gold Mario, which is a costume for Metal Mario unlocked by completing every cup and getting gold in 200cc (3-star status does not matter.). It also introduces new Battle Arenas along with two new items: Feather and Boo (since its last appearance in Mario Kart DS). The player can use Smart Steering (which is automatic turning) and Auto-accelerate (accelerating without needing to press the A button) for easier driving.
All the DLC available in Mario Kart 8 is included within Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, including characters like Isabelle & Link.
On June 25th, 2018, Nintendo officially added controller support for the Toy-Con Motorbike creation from the Nintendo Labo variety kit. The Joy-Cons are inserted when the race starts. The game automatically puts the player in an over-the-shoulder view though the player can change it to the normal view with the down button.
On July 19th, 2018, Nintendo added the Breath of the Wild incarnation of Link in his Champion Tunic to the game, alongside Master Cycle, Ancient Tires, and a new glider, based on Breath of the Wild’s paraglider.
The biggest addition to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from Mario Kart 8 is a largely improved Battle Mode. It includes a total of five different Battle Mode types, including:
- Battle Stadium
- Sweet Sweet Kingdom
- Dragon Palace
- Lunar Colony
- 3DS Wuhu Town
- GCN Luigi's Mansion
- SNES Battle Course 1
- Urchin Underpass
- King Boo
- Dry Bones
- Bowser Jr.
- Inkling Girl
- Inkling Boy
- Gold Mario (unlockable)
- BOTW Link (Version 1.6.0)
- Gold Mario: Win all 200cc Grand Prix cups
- BOTW Link: Update Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to Version 1.6.0 or higher.
Booster Course Pass
The Booster Course Pass is downloadable content for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The DLC contains past tracks from Super Mario Kart to Mario Kart Tour. Eight courses are released at a time over six waves, this means there will be forty-eight courses in total that will be released. The first wave of the Booster Course Pass launched on March 18, 2022, and the second on August 4, 2022.
- This is the first Mario game for the Nintendo Switch, as well as the first remake, as this game is a remake of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U.
- It was also the only remake of a Mario game on Switch until early 2019 when New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe was released.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has the most playable characters in a Mario Kart game.
- It's worth noting that some new characters were DLC in Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U, such as Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach.
- This is the first Mario Kart game for the Switch; the other being Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.
- Some new characters appeared in the older Mario Kart titles.
- At over 36 million copies, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best-selling Nintendo Switch game and fourth best-selling game overall, in December 2021, it managed to overtake Mario Kart Wii as the bestselling Mario Kart title.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have the most detailed kart in a Mario Kart game. The karts can be between 36,000 and 85,000 polygons.
- One of the Inkling Girl's animations was removed in an update released on May 2017 because it was considered inappropriate.