Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (マリオカート8デラックス Mariokāto 8 derakkusu), often abbreviated to MK8 Deluxe (MK8DX for short), is a game released in 2017-2018 for the Nintendo Switch and is the first game in the series to be released for the console. Several voice clips are reused from Mario Super Sluggers.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an expansion and a continued version of Mario Kart 8. It brings new battle courses, characters returning from Mario Kart Wii including King Boo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr., and new characters to the Mario Kart series, Splatoon's Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy. It also added Gold Mario, who is a costume for Metal Mario, who is unlocked by completing every cup and getting gold in 200cc (3-star status does not matter.). It also introduces new Battle Arenas along with two new items: Feather and Boo (since its last appearance in Mario Kart DS. The player can use Smart Steering (which is automatic turning) and Auto-accelerate (accelerating without needing to press the A button) for easier driving.
All the DLC available in Mario Kart 8 is included within Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, including characters like Isabelle & Link.
On June 25th, 2018, Nintendo officially added controller support for the Toy-Con Motorbike creation from the Nintendo Labo variety kit. The Joy-Cons are inserted when the race starts. The game automatically puts the player in an over-the-shoulder view though the player can change it to the normal view with the down button.
On July 19th, 2018, Nintendo added the Breath of the Wild incarnation of Link in his Champion Tunic to the game, alongside Master Cycle, Ancient Tires, and a new glider, based on Breath of the Wild’s paraglider.
The biggest addition to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from Mario Kart 8 is a largely improved Battle Mode. It includes a total of five different Battle Mode types, including:
- Battle Stadium
- Sweet Sweet Kingdom
- Dragon Palace
- Lunar Colony
- 3DS Wuhu Town
- GCN Luigi's Mansion
- SNES Battle Course 1
- Urchin Underpass
- King Boo
- Dry Bones
- Bowser Jr.
- Inkling Girl
- Inkling Boy
- Gold Mario (unlockable)
- Link (Breath of the Wild) (Version 1.6.0)
- Gold Mario: Win all 200cc Grand Prix cups
- Link (Breath of the Wild): Update Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to Version 1.6.0 or higher.
|Super Mario Kart (1992, SNES) · Mario Kart 64 (1996, N64) · Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001, GBA) · Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003, GameCube) · Mario Kart DS (2005, DS) · Mario Kart Wii (2008, Wii) · Mario Kart 7 (2011, 3DS) · Mario Kart 8 (2014, Wii U) · Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017, Switch)|
|Mario Kart Arcade GP (2005, Arcade) · Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (2007, Arcade) · Mario Kart Arcade GP DX (2013, Arcade) · Mario Kart Arcade GP VR (2017, Arcade)|
|Mario Kart Tour (2019, iOS/Android)|
- This is the first Mario game for the Nintendo Switch, as well as the first remake (as this game is a remake of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U)
- It was also the only remake of a Mario game on Switch until early 2019 when New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe was released
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has the most playable characters in a Mario Kart game
- It's worth noting that some new characters were DLC in Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U, such as Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach
- This is the first Mario Kart game for the Switch; the other being Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.
- Some new characters appeared in the older Mario Kart titles.