Lucas is son of Flint and Hinawa, he is characterized as more timid than his twin brother, Claus. While playable briefly during the prologue of Mother 3, he is an NPC for the first three chapters of the game, with Flint, Duster, and Salsa being the main characters of those chapters. After reappearing in the climax of Chapter 3 against the Pork Tank, he becomes the main playable character after the three-year time skip to Chapter 4, and retains this role for the remainder of the game.
While he initially leaves his hometown of Tazmily Village to locate Duster, he quickly becomes involved in a greater struggle against the Pigmask Army. He learns PSI, and his ability to use PK Love sets him into a chase against the Masked Man to pull the Seven Needles to awaken the Dark Dragon living under the Nowhere Islands. Lucas' main party of allies includes Kumatora, Duster, and his beloved pet dog Boney.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucas makes his Super Smash Bros. series debut, and by extension his international debut, in Brawl. His special moves are similar to Ness, but with some key differences. For example, Lucas' PK Thunder goes through opponents and can deal multiple hits, whereas Ness' version disappears on contact. Lucas' Final Smash is PK Starstorm, which he shares with Ness.
Lucas also has near-identical physics to Ness. However, the majority of Lucas' moves completely differ from Ness, thus rendering him as a pseudo-clone of his fellow EarthBound series representative.
Super Smash Bros. 4
Although Lucas was not present in the final roster upon Super Smash Bros. 4's initial worldwide release, he was later released as a DLC character on June 14th, 2015.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Lucas is a veteran fighter in Ultimate.
- Lucas is the only character to have been a starter character (Brawl), a DLC character (SSB4), and an unlockable character (Ultimate).
- Lucas is the only DLC character in SSB4 to have ever been a starter, as all DLC characters are unlockable in Ultimate, and Mewtwo and Roy are unlockable in Melee.
- Lucas is the only DLC character in SSB4 that debuted in Brawl.
- Unlike Mewtwo and Roy, Lucas was removed at the base roster.
- Although Lucas has only appeared in a Japanese-exclusive game, he is voiced by Lani Minella, an American actress.