King Kaliente is a giant octopus-like creature from outer space that appeared in Super Mario Galaxy in the Good Egg Galaxy and Bowser Jr.'s Lava Reactor. King Kaliente is said to be the ruler of the octopus-like race, the Octoombas.
He is an giant orange Octoomba who has multiple tentacles which can be used to deflect stuff. He wears a crown & a neckerchief.
Super Mario Galaxy
To defeat Kaliente, Mario must attack the green coconuts he shoots at him. He has to do this three times. But, on the third time, King Kaliente will attack the coconut Mario hits. Hit it back and forth three times, and on the third time, Kaliente will finally be defeated. He is then later fought for the sixth Grand Star at Bowser Jr.'s Lava Reactor. In this fight, 'King Kaliente's Spicy Return', King Kaliente is black with red eyes, presumably burnt. Because of this, he is either called Burnt King Kaliente or Spicy King Kaliente. The way to defeat him is still the same, but the surface of the arena is slick, the platforms will sink into the lava you'll have to hit him with the coconut more times than in the first, and he can spawn Lava Bouncers earlier. He also spawns Meteors on his death throws.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
King Kaliente reappears in Super Mario Galaxy 2 at the Boss Blitz Galaxy, along with other past bosses from Super Mario Galaxy. Kaliente is defeated again with those coconuts like in Super Mario Galaxy.
- King Kaliente shares his boss music with both Bugaboom and Topmaniac.
- Kaliente is seen to have an antenna like the Octoomba species after his crown is knocked off.
- King Kaliente somewhat resembles King Calamari, Squiddicus and Gooper Blooper.
- It is unknown what King Kaliente looks like below his neck, or how many tentacles he truly has.
- King Kaliente bears somewhat of a resemblance to Prince Pikante, and it is possible that the two are related.
- The concept of the player and a boss deflecting a projectile back and forth in attempts to damage one another may be based off of the concept of Dead Man's Volley from the Zelda franchise. Because Shigeru Miyamoto created both the Mario and Zelda franchises, it is clear how the concept of Dead Man's Volley would be brought into Super Mario Galaxy.
- In Super Mario Odyssey, the battle music of the Broodals is similar to King Kaliente's.
- His name is a pun on the word caliente, which means hot.