This article focuses on the power-up, if you want to see the character, see here.Cat Mario is a power-up featured in Super Mario 3D World. It can be used by Mario, Luigi, Toad, Rosalina, Bowser, and Peach when they get a Super Bell.
AppearanceWhen Mario is Cat Mario, his fur is yellow and has a chubbier appearance compared to the other characters. When Luigi is Cat Luigi, his appearance is much more slimmer and his fur is green in color. Also, he has dark spots all over his body and his cat ears are rounded in contrast to the other characters' pointed cat ears. When Peach is Cat Peach, her appearance is also slimmer but has pink fur. When Blue Toad is in his cat form, his fur is blue and is much smaller in size compared to the other characters. Rosalina has black fur and a much taller stature.
Powers and Abilities
As Cat Mario, Mario and the others are able to climb up walls for a limited amount of time. They are also much more agile and run on all fours. This also gives them a bit more running speed. They also take on a shorter posture, allowing them to sprint through spaces which would normally require crouching to move through. Cat Mario can perform a scratching attack that works in close range, similar to Tanooki Mario's tail whip attack. While in the air, Cat Mario can perform a diving attack in which he pounces down at an angle.
One major weakness of Cat Mario is that his scratching attack requires to get up close to enemies. This can be dangerous against enemies that can strike from a distance. Also, Cat Mario tends not to do well in underwater levels and his climbing attack is only useful for some points. Although Cat Mario can climb up walls, this leaves him wide open to other enemy attacks as he cannot fight while stuck to the wall.
- The Cat Mario transformation looks similar to the Kitsune Luigi transformation in terms of color palette and design.
- Cat Peach later appears as a playable racer in Mario Kart 8, but only as a DLC character.
- It has been speculated that Cat Mario's suit is not red since, in Japanese culture, the color red represents anger and danger, while yellow represents courage and cheerfulness.
- However, Rosalina's cat suit is black by request of Yoshiaki Koizumi, the producer of Super Mario 3D World.
- Cat Mario and Cat Peach make a cameo appearance in Super Mario Odyssey. In this game, they appear in 8-bit forms in nearly all of the kingdoms. Hitting Cat Mario with Cappy releases coins and Cat Peach releases Hearts.