Bros. Attacks, also called Bros. Moves, are special techniques used by Mario and Luigi in the Mario & Luigi series. They are a genus of attack called Special Attack. These attacks made their debut in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga where Mario and Luigi learned it from the Starshade Bros. in Stardust Fields. Bros. Attacks require BP (Bros. Points) in order to use them. Bros. Attacks are replaced by Bros. Items in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and are named Special Attacks in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. The same concept returns in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.
In Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario and Luigi can earn get more Bros. Attacks by finding two Secret Scrolls where the Hammerhead Bros.' have resided southeast from Beanbean Castle Town. In Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario and Luigi can get more Bros. Attacks by finding Attack Pieces throughout areas, away reused from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Brickle, the manager of Mushrise Park, instantly gives Mario all of his Attack Pieces to learn 3D Red Shell.
Types of Bros. Attacks
This game reveals that Bros. Attacks constitute one genus of Special Attacks. Unlike in their prior incarnation, the Bros. attacks can be shared by the Mario brothers.
- Green Shell
- Fire Flower
- Jump Helmet
- Yoo Who Cannon
- Super Bouncer
- Mighty Meteor
- Spin Pipe
- Snack Basket
- Magic Window
- Falling Star
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team goes back to each Mario brother being able to start five different Special Attacks.
- 3D Red Shell - The Mario brothers head south of the enemies and kick a crimson Koopa shell into the targeted enemy. This Bros. attack uses their boots.
- Special Cost: 5
- Target: Single (Changes targets if you kill the selected target.)
- Obtained by: Find all 10 attack pieces that have been scattered throughout western Mushrise Park.
- Bye-Bye Cannon: Mario and Luigi jump out of the cannon and stomp their target. If you get the order right, the Bros. descend in the opposite order. Note that the Bros. duplicate themselves. This Bros. attack uses their boots.
- Special Cost: 7
- Target: Single (Changes targets after the sixth hit if it or any of the prior 5 hits kills the target)
- Obtainment: Find all 10 attack pieces that have been scattered throughout Wakeport.
- Bomb Derby: Luigi tosses bombs while Mario smacks them towards the target foe with his hammer. Strangely, Mario's hammer is ingored with damage calculation.
- Special Cost: 10
- Target: Technically every enemy (random), but the selected target gets hit the most times. Max targets: 4.
- Obtainment: Find all attack pieces that have been scattered throughout Driftwood Shore.
- Jet-Board Bash Luigi activates the Jet-Board, speeding by swiping the ground with his hands (hold B). When the bros. reach their target, Mario prepares a swing of his hammer. Press A to release.
- Special Cost: 12
- Target: Single
- Obtainment: Find all attack pieces that have been scattered throughout Somnom Woods.
- Zee Egg: The Mario Brothers toss the legendary Zee Egg towards the battlefield, and the Zeekeeper appears in his full glory. Mario and Luigi have ride on the Zeekeeper's back, trying to hit the Wakeorb with their hammers.
- Special Cost: 15
- Target: Technically every enemy, but the selected target takes the full blow while the rest take a tiny fraction.
- Obtainment: Free all of the Pi'illo Folk.
- 3D Green Shell: Same as the 3D Red Shell, but Luigi starts the attack.
- Special Cost: 4
- Target: All (random; maximum 10)
- Obtainment: Free Boss Brickle from the Zeekeeper Fountain Statue.
- Fire Flower: The Mario brothers enter their Fire forms, charge up fireballs, and toss them. Getting all 20 fireballs initiates the second phase, which is identical to Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: toss fireballs with abandon.
- Dropchopper: The Mario brothers chase the Dropchopper Craft south, then double back and try to grab on. The Bros. must then slam down towards their target. This special attack uses the boots.
- Special Cost: 7
- Target: The initial target is selectable mid-strike, but the shockwave hits all grounded foes that were not targeted by the initial stomp.
- Obtainment: Find all 10 Attack Pieces in Mount Pajamaja.
- Slingsniper: Mario pulls back and launches Luigi with full force towards the foe who is covered by the reticle.
- Special Cost: 10
- Target: Selectable mid-strike.
- Obtainment: Solve the Bros. Ball puzzle to get to the Pajamaja Rock Frame.
- Star Rocket: The Bros. ride on a Warpstar-like star that heads to the right, collecting smaller stars to increase their power. Then, the Bros. stomp down on their target, dealing damage. This special attack uses boots.
- Special Cost: 12
- Target: Single by default, but the second Bro. changes targets if the first one kills the target.
- Obtaiment: Find all 10 Attack Pieces that have been scattered throughout Neo Bowser Castle's first and second floors.
- 3D Red Shell: Same as in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, but only six hits.
- Rocket Blast: The Bros. ride on a rocket that launches toward the sky, and then fall onto their target. Both must stomp on the target, then Mario must drive the rocket towards the foe and strike them.
- Target: Technically one enemy, but the last hit can damage multiple enemies.
- Bomb Derby: Same as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, but the last bomb deals the most damage and all bombs deal fire damage.
- Cannonball Chuck: Mario throws a Cannonball north and Luigi has to smash the enemy from above.
- Target: Technically selectable mid-strike, but the target foe must be hit to score an Excellent! rating.
- Toad Trail: Mario and Luigi ride the Toad Trail, picking up speed and dashing into their target. The actual target must be struck for an Excellent! rating, similar to Cannonball Chuck.
- Target: Technically selectable mid-strike, but you have to hit the true target to be awarded with an Excellent! rating.
- Fire Flower: Same as in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.
- Drill Shell: Mario and Luigi jump high over their target, and then strike, dealing damage. A direct hit must be scored for those who aspire for an Excellent! rating.
- Target: Single.
- Dropchopper: Same as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.
- Balloon Blast: Mario and Luigi inflate balloons that pop and deal damage to all foes.
- Target: All (random)
- Mega Thwonk: Luigi consumes a Mega Mushroom, becoming large, and charges the foe, striking them with his hammer. Mario must stomp them.
- Target: Technically one enemy, but everyone takes damage.