The Broodals (ブルーダルズだ Broodals?) are a villainous group of four rabbit wedding planners in the game Super Mario Odyssey (where they make their debut) and serve as the game's secondary antagonists. They make their first appearance in the Cap Kingdom and later appear in the Sand Kingdom, the Lake Kingdom, the Wooded Kingdom, the Snow Kingdom, the Luncheon Kingdom, Bowser's Kingdom and their home - Dark Side. They all wear fancy clothing, which is color-coded between each of them, and have dark areas around their eyes. They are subordinates of Madame Broode, a massive, morbidly fat rabbit in a red dress and hat.
In Super Mario Odyssey, Bowser hires them to plan his wedding to Princess Peach. However, Mario then tries to stop them, battling them throughout the game's many kingdoms. Once Mario reaches the Snow Kingdom and the Luncheon Kingdom he fights the Broodals Spewart and Rango. If he wins, their are permanently defeated and are only seen again later on. In Bowser's Kingdom, after the Smart Bombing mission, Mario has to face off against Hariet and Topper. And if he wins they don’t reappear until later.
After Mario reaches Bowser for a final showdown on a rooftop later on in the kingdom, ready for Bowser’s final defeat, Bowser hops on his ship and sails off to the moon for the wedding, and when Mario tries to stop him, Boswer punches him to an arena, where the Broodals. attack him in a giant robot called RoboBrood. However, Mario defeats their machine, causing it to launch into the sky and explode, making fireworks of each Broodal’s frustrated face.
Once Mario has successfully stopped the wedding, the four smaller members, now jobless, head off Mario within the carrot-shaped Rabbit Ridge Tower on the Dark Side for a final confrontation. From there, they challenge Mario to a fight against each, back-to-back, for the Multi Moon, culminating in another battle against the RoboBrood. Once RoboBrood is defeated again, it once again launches off and explodes, and you can come back and battle them whenever you want.
- Madame Broode (Leader)
- Topper (Client Relations)
- Hariet (Pyrotechnics)
- Spewart (Entertainer)
- Rango (Bouncer)
- Chain Chompikins (Pet)
- The Broodals' connection with the Moon seems to be based on the mythological moon rabbit, a creature based on the Moon's markings vaguely resembling a rabbit with a mortar and pestle.
- The name "Broodal" seems to be a combination of "brood," which can refer to either a family of young animals or to dwell unhappily on something, "bridal," referring to their job as wedding planners, and perhaps "brutal,” referring to them being villains.
- The Broodals sometimes make sounds similar to those made by Star Bunnies.
- When the Broodals go into their hats, they resemble flying saucers. Given their lunar origin, this is probably intentional, especially due to the presence of Yoofoes and Torkdrift, which are flying saucers themselves.
- Their battle theme shares similarities to King Kaliente's theme in Super Mario Galaxy.
- The way they go into and out of their hats may reference the common magician's trick of pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
- With the exception of Madame Broode, they are the 1st bosses in Super Mario Odyssey that can be stomped on. The second being Cookatiel. That can only be stomped on if the player is a Lava bubble.