Super Mario World
In this game, there are four different varieties, but Mario firstly has to find the appropriate Switch Palaces so that he will be able to hit the blocks. They come in colors of Yellow, Green, Blue and Red. Each block (aside from the blocks that can't be opened) give a different reward:
- Yellow - Super Mushroom (Palace in World 1)
- Green - Cape Feather (Palace in World 2)
- Red - Fire Flower (Palace in World 3)
- Blue - Unbreakable (Palace in World 5)
Super Mario 64/DS
Here, the ! blocks reappear serving a slightly different purpose. Yellow blocks are already unlocked and hold either coins or one of the 120 power stars. Sometimes releasing this star is the object of a detailed star, or it is one of the castle's secret stars. The other three variants (Red, Green and Blue) have to be unlocked by finding the appropriately colored switch somewhere in the game. These boxes hold the Wing, Metal and Vanish caps respectively and are needed to complete certain stars in the game. The locations of these switches are:
- Red Block (Wing Cap) - A secret area accessed when staring into the light in the mail hallway. (10 Power Stars needed)
- Green Block (Metal Cap) - A secret area accessed from Hazy Maze Cave.
- Blue Block (Vanish Cap) - A secret area accessed from the bottom of the moat running round the castle.
In Super Mario 64 DS, the red, green and blue ! Blocks have been replaced with red ? Blocks, containing different items, as there are no Wing, Metal nor Vanish caps in this game. The yellow ! Blocks still appear.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
! Blocks appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Different variants appear in World of Light at Molten Fortress. ! Blocks will appear after activating the ! Switch. The player may activate ! Switches in order to reawaken Peach and Bowser.